Friday, February 27

The Shack

So I finished reading the Shack by William P. Young last month and although I didn't agree with every aspect of it I really liked it! It showed the different characteristics of God in unfamiliar ways.
One of my favorite chapters is about forgiveness. The main character in this book doesn't know how to forgive his daughter's killer. The killer didn't ask to be forgiven and the main character feels that if he does forgive the killer it's like he is betraying his daughter’s memory. God (in the book) explains to the main character that forgiveness is something he’ll have to decide to do daily and that his anger will still be there but after a time of consistently deciding to forgive this killer one day the anger will leave too. It goes on to talk about the difference between forgiveness, relationship and trust, I love the way this is worded so simply, this is a quote from the book that really impacted me and I just wanted to share it with you:

“…forgiveness does not create a relationship. Unless people speak the truth about what they have done and change their mind and behavior, a relationship of trust is not possible. When you forgive someone you certainly release them from judgment, but without true change, no real relationship can be established.”
– William P. Young, The Shack

Now the book covers many other layers of forgiveness but these few sentences really stood out to me. Read the book to find out more! :)

3 comments:

The Penter Family said...

I like that part about forgiveness. I read that book and thought there were a lot of weird parts, but you can pick out some good ones too...

Rachel said...

I thought the same thing... I mostly liked the way he worded things like that forgiveness part. When I try to explain my interpretations of the bible to people I can rarely find the words like the way he does.
:)

AFlurry said...

Rach...so glad you found me!! Now we can keep up with each other even better. :)