Wednesday, May 19

Hit and Giggle

I married a past UA pitcher who is very competitive! In our first year of marriage Jared really wanted us to play tennis together… let’s just say it wasn’t good for our marriage so we stopped.

A few weeks ago our CORE group met at the Mullen’s house where Mike and Jessa led us in questions of how we perceived what our marriage was going to be like before we were married and how it is now. We covered many questions but one thing that really stuck out to me was how I recalled Jared really wanting us to play tennis together and I have been fighting it for the 8 years we’ve been a couple. So, leaving CORE group that night I turned to Jared and let him know that we should start “trying” to play tennis together… his face lit up! :)



Yesterday was our first attempt in almost 6 years! We pulled up at the courts on the Trussville Mall and there were players on all four courts… I thought great witnesses! When a court was finally free and we started hitting I kept thinking: I’m so out of shape, I know my legs are jiggling like crazy, oops I hope no one saw that, my toes hurt, wow my legs hurt… then I asked how long have we been out here? Jared replied, 15 minutes! You’re doing way better then last time, I’ve started hitting it hard and you are actually hitting it back! I responded, I think I'm going to throw up!

Jared was good and patient teaching me, BABY STEPS! Like with the forearm I need to only use one hand to hit it and the backhand I hold it with two… we also covered some basics like tennis’s “line of scrimmage” is called a baseline, which makes since.

In short, my goal was to keep the ball in the fence but I failed! In the last 15 minutes I managed to hit two out of the fence, Jared had to retrieve.

I really had fun this time! I think it was mostly because we didn’t keep score, Papa calls it “hit and giggle,” as a competitor I’m sure this was hard for Jared but after almost 6 years of marriage he knows that this is the best way for me to start!

I’ve decided to blog about my tennis progress to keep me motivated so stay tuned maybe I can keep it up. :)

Quotes:
At least it was in the fence
Sorry…
I think I’m going to throw up
You have to pick up your feet
Can we let it bounce twice?
You were a lot worse last time
You’re doing good baby
You tricked me…

2 comments:

Jamie Grizzle said...

Sounds like you did a pretty good job! Ben and used to play - he gave me lessons for like a minute. Haha. That is actually how we started dating. He worked his way up from tennis coach to dinner buddy!

We should play doubles sometime! Well, sometime after October...

The Penter Family said...

Good for you. Camron used to ask me to play tennis with him all the time and now he has quit asking me. It would be nice if we could find some time to do that together... although scheduling is a little more difficult with an (almost) 2 year old on our hands now.