Monday, April 27

Until...

Before we headed back to the lodge Jared and I swapped four wheelers because the red four wheeler was the fastest... notice the word WAS!

After I totally smoked Jared and Leah I stopped to wait for them on flat ground might I add! I started to back up to turn around... put the four wheeler in reverse and it stalled so I hit the gas a little harder and it felt like a bucking horse as it flipped on it's side. After I put it back into place I cranked it up and tried to put it in gear and it cut off.... again and again. When Jared and Leah caught up I told them what happened and Jared suggested we switch again and to let him try. So we swapped... then I heard the four wheeler back fire and saw a flame going up the left side... YES A FLAME!!! I yell at Jared and he starts to run away from the four wheeler with his left jean leg on fire... YES ON FIRE!!! Right when I found my voice to say "Stop, drop and roll" he beat the flame out!! After I made sure Jared wasn't hurt I took off on the four wheeler I was on, got to the barn, started filling up buckets with water and putting them in the Sidekick. Leah and Jared arrived on the other four wheeler and went in the lodge to find a fire extinguisher (I was thinking... good luck). Then I took off with the first round of buckets to where the flaming four wheeler and huge pile of smoke was... praying that it wouldn't blow up since we just put a full tank of gas in it! While I was on my third bucket of water Jared arrives with two fire extinguishers both of which did not work! So he helped me with my fourth big bucket! I was about to leave for my second round of buckets when Jared noticed the little pound that was really close to the flaming four wheeler... he grabbed one of the buckets to start using that water to put out the fire... I took off to use a hose. After the third round of buckets we got all the flames out and sat there in AWE at the result of my oops!!


Speechless we got back to the lodge, Jared went in the lodge to take a shower and to assess the damage to his hand that he noticed was burned when putting the fire out on his jeans! Leah and I tried to get as much water out of the floor of the Sidekick as we could... when we got back in the lodge Jared asked if I've called my dad yet... I said well I haven't had a chance to take a breath but I'll call him now. At that moment (SERIOUSLY) Papa walked in and said hello!

I told Leah to go ahead and leave so she didn't have to witness this uncomfortable confession (she was flying out to visit friends in Tulsa the next day)!

Me: "Papa will you come for a walk with me."

Papa (worried look): "Sure."

After walking outside a few yards.

Me: "I kinda torched Allen's four wheeler" then went into similar detail as my description above.

Papa: "Why did you ride Allen's four wheeler?"

Me: "B/c it's the fastest one." (just being honest!)

Papa: "Well let's go see what's left."

Me: "Just to prepare you... there is only a carcass!"

Papa and I head out on two of the remaining four wheelers to show him what I did. When we got there Papa discovered that this was one of his four wheelers... whew!! I think we were both relieved about that!!

So our first full day at SawGrass and we've already figured that the amount of money we will be spending to replace this four wheeler will be more then what we would spend on a week at the beach.... so much for our cheap vacation! :)

More to come...

4 comments:

The Penter Family said...

Oh My Gosh! Are you kidding me? That is terrible!!!

The Cosby's said...

Wow! Definitely didn't see that one coming. Glad everyone is okay for the most part.

The King's said...

Rachel!! That is hilarious and terrible all wrapped up together!! I'm glad no one was hurt!!

Lanie said...

Yikes. I can't believe this happened. I am glad no one was seriously injured. Glad you got the pics to illustrate the story!